As I talk to individuals who are considering participating in a yoga teacher training program, I uncovered some common myths and assumptions that frankly, quite surprised me.
Maybe I’ve been teaching for too long (13 years – yay!), so I sometimes forget to step into the student’s mind. Plus, the downside of yoga being so ubiquitous is that the media has portrayed yoga students and teachers as white, skinny, affluent, young Americans with chiseled bodies (Not so, read below!).
So for those of you who are longing to organize your life in a healthy, natural way and want to experience the deeper benefits of yoga, don’t let these 5 common misconceptions keep you from this life-changing experience:
Here are the 5 Myths:
- “To become a ‘real’ yoga teacher, I need to be a white, skinny, young, affluent, female American.” This is absolutely false. True yoga is available to everyone. In my program, I honor all ethnicities, body shapes and ages. This yoga intensive is available to all. You should however have been in a yoga class or have practiced yoga long enough to know that there is more to yoga than the physical poses. If you want to teach, there is actually a lot more work available for those who have the calling to work with others like themselves. Niche markets such as teaching retirees, children, the elderly, corporate yoga, yoga for chronic pain or special conditions abound. What I teach you is to use your “weaknesses” as your strengths.
- “I have to be flexible to be good at yoga.” Absolutely, wrong, wrong, wrong. If you are inflexible, you will be able to experience the physical yoga poses in a way that both protects your body and also teaches you how to teach others who are inflexible (the majority of the population). Whoever said being a good yoga student or yoga teacher requires flexibility isn’t practicing or teaching true yoga.
- “My yoga poses aren’t good enough for me to start this type of program.” No, no, no, my friends. First off, my Yoga Awakenings Teacher Training Program is about 10% focused on learning and improving your yoga poses. Yes, you will learn alignment and have lots of one-on-one time with me to learn yoga poses. In addition, you’ll learn the true depth of yoga learning key skills on health, managing anxiety and fear, living the loving principles of yoga and how to be of service in the world (on or off the mat).
- “I can’t start a yoga intensive or teacher training program because I don’t have a solid yoga and meditation home practice.” I can assure you that most people entering a teacher training program do not already have a consistent and fulfilling home practice. One of the keys that you will learn is how to integrate yoga more deeply into your life – at home and out in the world.
- “The Yoga Awakening Teacher Training Program is only for people who want to become yoga teachers.” Nope, not true. While some participants of my program will be eager to become professional yoga teachers, I’d estimate that 50-75% of those who take a teacher training program have no plans to teach yoga. (This is true for not just my program, but almost all teacher training programs.) My program is a life program. You will learn how to rest with the big questions of life (who am I? why am I here? how can I live in a space of integrity and peace?). You’ll learn how to nourish your body. You’ll learn the fascinating and rich traditions of yoga that address taming the mind, healing the body and tapping into the spirit.
Are you interested in deepening your yoga and meditation practice and becoming healthier in your body, mind and spirit so that you can help others no matter what your life path? Consider my very special program. Take these five steps:
- Download the 26 page PDF here. This will answer many of your questions.
- Call me or email me with ANY questions. I’m here for you. I can help you make an informed decision. You can reach me at SuzanneMorganYoga@yahoo.com or 703-626-8349.
- Fill out the application. (Once accepted in, please send your deposit of $300)
- Be ready to start Friday, February 19 at 6 pm.
- Rejoice! You are on the road to a healthier more abundant life!
I offer monthly payment plans as a payment option. Please ask questions.
BUT HURRY! We start on February 19th!
Namaste + love,