Welcome to Day 5 of our 21 Day Yoga Challenge. Looking to improve your health? Chia seeds to the rescue. These seeds are super-heroes in the health food world. Despite their tiny size, chia seeds pack a big health punch. Consider these benefits of a one-ounce serving:
- packed with omega-3 fatty acids – nearly 5 grams (better than flax seed)
- delivers high fiber – one serving delivers about 1/3 of the recommended daily intake
- packed with protein – nearly 10 percent of what you need a day
- stabilizes blood sugar and fights insulin resistance
- helps you maintain healthy bones and teeth with its rich source of phosphorus and calcium – 27 percent and 18 percent of recommended daily intake respectively
- great for diabetes as it slows down digestion and prevents blood sugar spikes
- increases healthy cholesterol and decreases total, LDL and triglyceride cholesterol
- and they are cute (okay, I added that benefit to the official list to see if you are paying attention)
Chia seeds have a very mild nutty flavor. My favorite ways to incorporate chia seeds to my health regime are to add them to healthy muffins or to mix in yogurt.
Chia seeds come from a desert plant that is grown in Mexico. A fun fact is that the seeds are the same ones that are used to grow “Chia Pets“. Remember those? Or am I just old?
Get some today.