Hungry, Yoga Friends?
I just made up this recipe last night and let me tell you, this is one for the cookbook! This is a very special, but easy to make soup. It’s spicy and a touch sweet. It’s velvety but the corn adds crunch. Here’s my recipe:
Suzanne’s Spicy Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder Soup
- 1/2 a sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 2 Tbsp of good quality olive oil
- 2 Tbsp good quality butter
- Salt to taste – I probably added 1 tsp.
- 1/2 of a fresh jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp Old Bay
- 5 cups of sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups of vegetable broth (good quality, you guessed it)
- 3 cups of sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp of maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of chopped cilantro
Cook the onions slowly in the butter and olive oil with the salt to carmelize, about 10-15 minutes. Bloom the spices and then add the jalapeno. Cook for a few more minutes.
Turn up heat, add sweet potatoes and then broth. Cook for about 30 to 45 minutes, allowing the potatoes to fully cook. Turn off heat and blend soup with a hand immersion blender.
Turn heat back on. Add corn. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, lemon juice, syrup and cilantro. Cook for 3 minutes. Then you are done. Ready to serve.