It’s cold outside and the perfect time to nourish your body and soothe your soul with my butternut squash soup. Like most of my recipes, this soup can be done three ways:
- friendly animal elements
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- plus 2 tablespoons of butter or ghee (optional)
- 1/2 onion or 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 5 cups butternut squash, finely chopped
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and finely chopped – Granny Smith Apple is best
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 4-5 cups of vegetable broth (or water) (or chicken broth)
- 2 tsp. of fresh thyme leaves
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup of good quality maple syrup
- Goat cheese, optional
Heal oil and butter in large soup pot. Add onion & carrot and cook on medium for 5 minutes until they soften. Season with salt & pepper Add butternut squash and apple. Cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add broth and thyme. Bring to boil and simmer for 45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Add maple syrup, starting with 1/8 cup – taste. Add more if needed.
Omit butter. Use vegetable broth or water for base.
Use vegetable broth or water for base.
Use a good quality, organic chicken broth.
Serve with goat cheese as a topping or stir in 1/2 cup of goat cheese at the end for a super tasty, creamy soup!