“Yoga believes in transforming the individual before transforming the world. Whatever change we want to happen outside should happen within. If you walk in peace and express that peace in your very life, others will see you and learn something.” – Sri Swami Satchidananda
“We can only give to others what we already have. Give yourself the gift of love, equanimity and balance. Come; join me on the yogic path.” – Suzanne Morgan
Hello, my yoga friends!
I hope this note finds you happy, healthy and inspired. Speaking of inspired, today I’m launching a life changing program, my Yoga Awakenings 200 Hour Teacher Training & Mentoring Program. If you have benefited from yoga and would like to share the gift, consider joining me on this spectacular journey. I welcome all inquiries and will not discriminate based on your age, weight or current profession. This is a foundational course that is meant to help you deepen your own practice so that you can share the love (in a classroom of your own someday or in the supermarket) with others. If you are interested, please sign up today!
About Yoga Awakenings 200 Hour Teacher Training & Mentoring Program:
- There is a strong therapeutic focus in my teacher training program. The educational content focuses on practical solutions on how participants can live a healthy, balanced life and how to offer yoga solutions to others.
- This is a loved infused program. If the word “love” seems super icky to you, you may want to pass on this program. If love (and in particular, self-love) seems a little scary, but you are ready to gently open your heart, mind and body to yoga then you are in the right place. If your heart is already wide-open and you can’t wait to share the benefits with others, then sign up right away!
- This program is a wonderful foundation to help you teach yoga at a paid or service level. However, many if not most who seek certification do not intend to teach yoga. This course is perfect for those who simply want to deeply enrich their own practice and live a yogic life.
What you will receive:
- An abundance of nurturing, mentoring and support to help you live a happy, healthy life
- A teacher training program infused with love helping you make your “weaknesses” your strengths and helping you live and/or teach with authenticity
- 180 hours of contact with me as your advanced yoga teacher/leader which provides consistency and full knowledge of what you can expect
- Direct one-on-one mentoring
- Hasta Mudras for Health & Healing, Suzanne Morgan
- Simple * Healthy * Comfort Food, Suzanne Morgan
- You will receive an extensive course manual (over 250 pages) that will help you organize and prepare for your training sessions. You will also be given a resource guide on how to extend your training beyond the scope of this program.
- After completion of the program, you will receive a 200 hour teacher training certification.
- This program will meet Yoga Alliance’s Standards for a 200 Hour Teacher Training Program. We are currently applying with Yoga Alliance and expect to be accepted as a Registered Yoga School (RYS) by commencement of the program. If we are accepted as a Registered Yoga School, which I fully believe we will, then you can apply as a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) once you’ve completed my program. The following is a brief outline of Yoga Alliance’s Standards:
o Techniques, Training & Practice – 100 hours
o Teaching Methodology – 25 hours
o Anatomy & Physiology – 20 hours
o Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers – 30 hours
o Practicum – 10 hours
Will you be accepted into the program? Prerequisites:
- Strong desire for growth and self-love
- A desire to share the benefits with others and be of service
- Willingness to create and maintain a personal meditation and asana practice
- Have practiced yoga for 6 months or more
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Sri Swami Satchidananda
- The Key Muscles of Yoga: Scientific Keys, Volume 1, Ray Long
- Hasta Mudras for Health & Healing, Suzanne Morgan * (do not purchase; this will be given to you)
- Simple * Healthy * Comfort Food, Suzanne Morgan * (do not purchase; this will be given to you)
Note: For the required texts, I would recommend printed copies of these books, as opposed to the kindle version. You can look for used versions on Amazon to save money. Also, for the required books, you don’t need to purchase these books right away. I will give you advance notice for when we will be using the books in our training.
We will reference many other books in our extensive training. I will provide plenty of additional book recommendations for the specific topics that we cover, but I don’t want you to feel overwhelmed by all the options. You’ll find that you will be drawn to further exploration of some topics as opposed to others.
Don’t go out and buy a bunch of books (unless you have the strong desire and plenty of money to spend!). I will make personal recommendations to you on other helpful books, videos and resources based on your personal goals and your development in the program. You will be given a resource guide on how to extend your training beyond the scope of this program.
Requirements for participation:
- At least 6 months of yoga
- There is a lot of content to cover in nine months, so it is important that you show up on time for all meetings. It’s also important to stay to the end of the meeting as testing will commence at the end of most sessions.
- Take a minimum of one yoga class with Suzanne Morgan each week (for a total of 30 classes over the period of the training). 30 classes are included with your payment.
Location of Training
Unless otherwise specified, all intensive weekends will be held at my pretty home yoga studio at 2100 N. Potomac Street, Arlington, VA 22205. For your weekly class with me, see my class schedule here.
Cost of the Program
Application fee: There is no application fee.
Program fee: $3,000 – includes class card for 30 classes ($360 value), two books provided ($30 value), 10 hours of personal mentoring ($700 value)
Save 10%. Pay in full by July 15 and the course costs $2,700
Payment plans: $300 initial payment, then $270 each month for 10 months. Payments are due promptly on the first of each month starting in August.
Purchase of required books: approximately $35 (or save money by sharing books with your fellow teacher trainers)
Make checks payable to: Suzanne Morgan Yoga and mail to 2100 N. Potomac Street, Arlington, VA 22205
Payments can be made via PayPal, but you will be responsible for the processing fee for credit card payments.
Unfortunately, once the program starts no refunds can be given. This program depends on group participation. If you need to drop out, or go on sabbatical, you will be issued credits based on your attendance at the time.
Schedule & Training dates:
9 monthly intensive weekends (15 hours one weekend a month intensive): = 135 hours
- Friday 6:30-8:30 pm
- Saturday 10 am – 5 pm
- Sunday 11 am – 5 pm
o August 22-24, 2014
o September 12-14, 2014
o October 17-19, 2014
o November 7-9, 2014
o December 5-7, 2014
o January 9-11, 2015
o February 6-8, 2015
o March 6-8, 2015
o April 17-19, 2015
- Plus 3 hours per month on meet-ups with other program participants to practice teaching, discussion of materials. Each meet-up will be led by Suzanne Morgan. The monthly meet ups will be scheduled with input from the group. = 27 hours
- 2 to 3 hours of personal mentoring each month –These mentoring sessions will be tailored to you meet your personal goals. Some of the things you might like to work on might include: alignment in your poses, setting up your yoga business, or a personal therapeutic issue such as addiction recovery, physical ailment, etc. = 25 hours
- 15 hours over the course of the program (approximately 2.5 hours per month) for electives, assistance teaching, workshops from other approved teachers, or reading/studying on your own = 15 hours
Topics & What You’ll Learn:
Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle & Ethics for Yoga Teachers
- History of Yoga & Introduction to Yoga Philosophy
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita
- Yamas & Niyamas
- The Eight Limbs of Yoga
- Lifestyle of a Yogi
- Ethics for Yoga Teachers
- Seva – Serving Others
- Dharma & Samskaras
Anatomy & Physiology
- Basic Anatomy for Understanding Yoga Poses (A) Muscles
- Basic Anatomy for Understanding Yoga Poses (B) Bones
- The Energetic Body – Chakras
- Subtle Energy – Prana, Nadis, Bandhas, Gunas, Doshas, the Five Sheaths
- Observing the Difference in Students Bodies
- Organs of the Body
- How to Use Touch Appropriately
- How to Structure a Yoga Class
- Hands On Adjustments
- Using Voice & Verbal Cues to Assist Students
- How to Start Teaching – Business Basics
- How to Handle Yourself in the Classroom
- Teaching Beginner Students
- Teaching Intermediate Students
- Teaching Advanced Students
- Keeping Students Safe
Techniques, Training & Practice
- Styles of Yoga
- 50 Key Yoga Poses
- Keys to Proper Alignment of Poses
- Visualization & Savasana
- The Use of Props
- General Categories of Poses
- Mudras for Health & Healing
- Vinyasa/Flow Yoga
- Yin Yoga
- Meditation Techniques and How to Incorporate Meditation Into Your Life and Your Classes
- Classroom Etiquette & Creating a Sacred Space
- Prenatal Yoga
- Restoratives and Yoga Nidra
- Therapeutic Focus – Common Injuries/Ailments
- Therapeutic Focus – Structural Limitations
- Therapeutic Focus – Depression, Anxiety & Stress
- Teaching Standing Poses
- Teaching Core Poses
- Teaching Backbends Poses
- Teaching Forward Folds
- Teaching Hip Openers
- Teaching Inversions
- Teaching Savasana
- Teaching Seated Poses
- Teaching Twists
- Practice Teaching with Fellow Teacher Trainers
- Practice teaching as the lead instructor
- Participants are required to take my yoga class once a week for 30 weeks (included in certification cost)
- Observing lead teacher
- Assisting lead teacher
Over 95% of the program will be taught by senior teacher, Suzanne Morgan. Suzanne may choose to bring in expert teachers for a few segments of the training, such as pre-natal.
About Suzanne Morgan
The roar of laughter is often heard inside Suzanne’s yoga classes. Suzanne works with her students on the qualities of joyfulness, peace, self-acceptance and love. Her styles of vinyasa flow and hatha yoga is sometimes challenging, but she doesn’t ask her students to do well, she asks that they be well.
Suzanne teaches full-time throughout the Metro DC area. She has a 700 hr. yoga certification and has been teaching for eleven years. She also has E-YRT-500, the highest teaching designation from Yoga Alliance, demonstrating that she has taught over 2,000 hours as a yoga teacher. She has taught over 3,000 hours of yoga classes and workshops.
She is the author of the yoga book, Hasta Mudras for Health & Healing and the cookbook, Simple * Healthy * Comfort Food. She developed a unique Yoga for Your Dog program that focuses on the energetic connection between a dog and her person.
|Suzanne lives in Arlington, VA with her Whippet Olivia and rescue kitty Simone.|
Evaluating a teacher training program:
- Make sure that the primary teacher (s) in the program you are considering resonates with you. Do you want something that this teacher has? Do you see the teacher (s) leading you in the direction you’d like to go?
- Look at all the costs of the program. Compare the costs of required texts and books. You only need to purchase two books for our training program.
- Compare the costs of ongoing classes or workshops held by outside teachers that are required for certification. Weekly classes and required workshops from outside teachers could add an additional $1,000 or more to the total cost of certification. In my program, you get 30 yoga classes included. There are no additional required costs with one exception. If you miss classes, and it requires my time, an additional $50 an hour will be charged if necessary.
- Compare the testing and evaluation process. A big stumbling block to getting certified is taking the final test and additional requirements such as a paper or project. When I took my initial teacher training program (then a 300 hour course), the open-book test took me 30 hours to complete. Many, many participants get stumped by the final examinations. I offer testing as you go tailored to simplify, demystify and expedite the training program. At the end of each training session, you will take a mini-test that counts as a segment of the final completion. You will see immediate results. At the end of the training, you will take a practicum with Suzanne Morgan, in a full-supported, helpful environment.
- Compare the payment plans. I can accommodate a monthly payment plan if you need it.
looks amazing suzanne! 🙂
too bad i live so far away hehe
We’ve got to meet one day. We are total soul sisters! Thanks as always for the feedback! – S
i like that plan! ❤
Nice application…well constructed and thought out! 🙂 Looking forward to this. I’m sure some of the weekends will come into conflict. Will need to discuss make-up sessions.