Hi, Yoga Friends! After much testing, I perfected my new healthy recipe for Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup. This is totally yummy and is going in the revised version of my new cookbook, Simple * Healthy * Comfort Food. It has the perfect balance of just a touch of heat with a touch of sweet. It’s 100% good for you.
Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of good quality olive oil
- 1/2 of a large sweet onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 of a small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into small 1 inch cubes
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into small 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 of a large green apple or 1 small green apple, peeled, seeded and cut into small 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of grated ginger
- 32 oz. of good quality vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup of good quality Maple syrup
Heat soup pot and add olive oil. Once olive oil is hot, add onions and lower heat to medium low. Add curry powder and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add squash, carrots, grated ginger, and green apple. Cook on low to medium heat until vegetables have softened a bit. Increase heat and add vegetable stock.
Once soup comes to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer at medium low heat for about 20-30 minutes until vegetables and apple are fully cooked. Add 1/8 cup of Maple syrup* Allow soup to cool for a few minutes, then use an immersion blender to purée soup to desired consistency. Taste. If needed, add more Maple syrup to get the right balance of spicy, savory and sweet.