Welcome to Day 11 of our 21 Day Yoga Challenge! Looking for something healthy and warm to eat? Here’s what I had for lunch today: my Cauliflower and Kale Soup. As always, if I post a recipe, it is my own creation. And be on the look-out for my cookbook coming out early Winter. I’ll have it for sale on my website and Amazon.
I just love, love, love soup. Soups are easy to digest, packed with lots of vegetables and a meal in one pot. Add some crusty bread and bring a world of good to your body.
All of the ingredients besides the stock and some of the spices are from Washington’s Green Grocer. I’ve chosen organic and sustainably raised products and so should you. 🙂
Note: I’ve posted vegan and vegetarian options below.
Suzanne’s Cauliflower and Kale Soup
- olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of butter (optional)
- 1/4 cup of shallots OR onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- 4 cups of chicken broth OR vegetable broth
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 3 cups of kale, chopped
- red pepper flakes – 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
- fresh thyme – 2 Tablespoons
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 3 to 4 sausage links (optional); Cook on grill and cut into thin slices. I used sweet Italian lamb sausage
In a large soup pot, warm butter and olive oil. Saute the shallots and garlic until shallots soften – about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and thyme to taste.
Then add your vegetable or chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Add cauliflower. Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes. Use an immersion blender or potato masher to blend soup.
Add kale, sausage and Parmesan cheese. Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.